Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:33:58 +0900
From:      "<Ajith Asela Pasqual.>" <pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        nadav@barcode.co.il
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Ajith Pasqual <pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD upgrade from 2.2.1 CD

Hi! Nadav,

 First of all, I'm terribly sorry for this very late reply. I was completely
immersed in an unexpected job and didn't have anytime to upgrade till this
Monday.

 Finally, I did the upgrade using 'make world' :
- removed the entire /usr/src directory
- copied the /usr/src from CD 2.
- make world
- recompiled the kernel to suit my needs
- installed compat_21

 and nearly everything was OK.

I did get some ld.so error messages libgnumalloc not found.  It was there in
/usr/libexec/compat (from memory I'm not really sure). I copied this to
/usr/lib and all problems went away.

Also I pkg_deleted (including Window manager fvwm) several programs and
reinstalled them from 2.2 CD.

Sofar everything is OK. xdm works fine.

Thank you very much for all your advice and for the prompt reply. I really
appreciate it.

BTW, I'm yet to update my /etc directory (from 2.1.7). Still it has not
given me any troubles though. Is it absolutely necessary to copy the
/usr/src/etc to /etc ? I could not understand the purpose of Makefile and what
it does in that dir. Any pointers in this direction is much appreciated as I
like to learn something new.

Best Regards,
Ajith.
Ajith Pasqual - Hatori-Aizawa Lab., Dept of Info. & Comm. Eng., Univ. of Tokyo.
Email:pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp (WWW)http://www.hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~pasqual/