Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:29:26 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        jfreeze@qx.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: Netscape6 on 3.4R

jfreeze@qx.net said on Apr 18, 2000 at 16:48:11:
> >If you installed linux-base reasonably recently it would be 6.1 .
> >You can check with
> >
> >ls /var/db/pkg/linux_base*
> >
> I have linux_base-5.2.
>
> That brings a few questions.
> 1) I suppose I can uninstall this easily enough with
>  pkg_delete linux_base-5.2

I think you may also need to pkg_delete linux_lib-something.

> 2) I am behind a firewall and have not been able to get ports to automatically download ports or packages.
> What is the full path for where to get linux_base-6.1?
> I checked ftp.freebsd.org but was not able to find 6.l.
> A port or package will do. Preferably a package.

The port consists of a big bunch of Red Hat 6.1 RPM's. If you have
access to a Red Hat 6.1 cd you can copy the required ones into
/usr/ports/distfiles/rpm/  (see what's required from the makefile).
Or download the stuff from Red Hat or a mirror.
In addition to what's installed by linux_base you'll need libjpeg-6b a
nd gtk+ -- the netscape port should install these automatically, just
put the rpm's in the distfiles/rpm directory.

> 3) Where did you get netscape6? Did you use the linux version of netscape from mozilla.org?

It's the linux netscape 6 preview release from netscape.com . I don't
know whether the same thing is available on mozilla.org.

> 4) What install steps did you take to install netscape? I downloaded
> the mozilla version and it was not clear how to install. This is
> assuming that I don't use the ports.

The easiest is to use the ports
  cd /usr/ports/www/linux-netscape6
  make install

But otherwise, just untar it somewhere, cd to the package/ directory,
and run netscape from that directory.