Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:12:06 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Burton Sampley <bsampley@bsampley.vip.best.com>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem mounting /cdrom w/ 2.2.5-R (fwd)

On Mon, Nov 24, 1997 at 12:05:33AM -0800, Burton Sampley wrote:
> Joerg,
>
> Actually, if I force it with either mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0a or mount -t
> cd9660 /dev/cd0a it *always* works.  If I mount it explicitly and then
> umount the drive, then try it again w/ mount /cdrom it still fails.  I've
> tried repeating mount /cdrom numerous times in a row, but it still refuses
> to mount the cdrom using that method.

You know, I have a machine which exhibits similar behaviour.
I ended up changing /dev/cd0a to /dev/cd0c in the fstab and then
everything worked fine and it's been happy ever since. I have no
idea if 'a' or 'c' is the correct usage, but 'c' seems to work
for me. I also had weird things happening when I mounted cd0a, like
being able to see directory listings, but any attempt to use the file
would get me a "file not found" error. Fun!

-Mark

> I'll try again tomorrow and post my
> results (the machine's at work, I'm a home, I forgot to leave a cd in the
> drive).   I assumed the media not present erorr was just the cdrom
> complaining about being booted w/o a cd.
>
> - burton -
>
> On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, J Wunsch wrote:
>
> > As Burton Sampley wrote:
> >
> > > I just completed a new install of 2.2.5-R on to a 'virgin' HD at work.
> > > I'm having a strange problem I don't understand.  If I try to mount a
> > > cdrom with mount /cdrom (as root) I get the following error:
> > >
> > > root@thingie(101)# mount /cdrom
> > > cd9660: /dev/cd0a: Device not configured
> >
> > This corresponds to:
> >
> > > npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
> > > npx0: INT 16 interface
> > > changing root device to sd0a
> > > cd0(ahc0:3:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
> > > cd0(ahc0:3:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
> >
> > ...these medium not present messages.  Somehow, your drive seems to
> > think twice about whether it's actually got a medium or not.  The way
> > you invoke the mount command is irrelevant, but those messages are the
> > indication of the evil that's going on.  Apparently, the drive finally
> > makes up its mind if you ask it often enough (which incidentally
> > happened to be an explicit call to mount_cd9660).
> >
> > --
> > cheers, J"org
> >
> > joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> > Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

> Burton Sampley
> bsampley@best.com or bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
> PGP key available at http://www.best.com/~bsampley/pgp.html

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU