Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 17:47:40 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/disktab and stuff

> I have to side with rod on this...
> dding a crucially missing item in sysinstall is ok..
> (could be considered a bugfix)
> rewriting it is a bad idea..

I'm not re-writing it so much as "reshuffling" it so that people have
the option of doing various things "atomically" rather than in one
unbreakable sequence.  It will also let you skip all the
fdisk/disklabel questions and just figure out (very conservative!)
defaults on its own in "express" mode, helping those who were
terminally confused by the previous "you must understand slices or
die!" system.

> bringing in a new editor is a bad idea, (unless the old one is still there)

People kinda missed the point of that one.  Rather than put vi on the
boot floppy, where it only eats tons-o-space and is used once to toss
the unsuspecting user into an empty /etc/exports file (that was real
bright, that one!), I was going to put ee on there to take up far less
space and also give the user some idea as to how to USE the damn
editor.  vi itself hasn't gone anywhere, it's just not being
[mis]tasked for this purpose..

					Jordan