Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:15:10 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-ROM not being detected

At 01:24 PM 8/28/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Unless the network is lying to me again, Roger Merritt said:
>> I seem to have gotten down to the last problem on my upgrade to
>> 4.1-STABLE.
>>
>> I have a Philips cd-rom drive, about 1 year old.
>
>You don't mention how it is wired to the machine.  If it is the only
>device on an IDE channel, be sure that it is the MASTER device, as a
>cd-rom set as SLAVE with no MASTER device on the channel will not be
>recognized.
>
>AlanC

Hmmm. That may be the problem -- it's the slave on the first IDE
channel, but there *is* a master device, my primary hard drive. I've
got two hard drives currently connected as master on two IDE channels,
but one will be removed when I've finished transferring data over. The
CD-ROM is the slave device on the first channel. I had no problems with
the device being automatically recognized when I upgraded to
3.5-STABLE, although I did have to change the device name in fstab to
mount it.
--
Roger