Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:28:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation, gethostid()

> > > What do you need it for in an LKM?
> >
> > Note the original topic; what I am trying to do is provide a means for
> > emulating the Linux ioctl used for getting the ethernet hardware address.
>
> And i tried you to prove that there's no actual need for getting the
> _ethernet_ hardware address.  You can put all the ethernet (or
> whatever) stuff into userland, to be run at /etc/rc time.  Inside the
> kernel, there's the kernel-internal `hostid' variable available
> anyway, or you can alternatively wrap Linux' gethostid() around BSD's
> ogethostid() syscall.

Bletch.

It should be available in the kernel environment, even if you don't like
the use to which he wants to put it.

What if he were writing a protocol module instead?

What if he already has a license that depends on the card under Linux,
and he wants to change his machine over to FreeBSD and not have to buy
a new license?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---