Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 21:34:54 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com
Cc:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning SPARC port

[...]
> My experance with SPARCs is limited but basicly they come in 3 flavors,
> sun4, sun4m, and sun4u. SPARC 1, 1+, 2, IPC, and IPX (i think) were
> sun4s. meaning that were uniprocessor machine and were not capable of
> supporting multiprocessor. SPARC 5, 10, and 20 are sun4m which means they
> do support multiprocessor. The ultra 1, ultra 2, and up are sun4u. Not
> really sure what the differance between the sun4m and the sun4u is. I'm
> doing this from memory so I sure I munged a few details.

sun4<x> is reprsents the architecture, not just CPU.  There's sun4, sun4c,
sun4d, sun4m, sun4u (hmmm, I wonder if sun4u applies to the E10000).

The 4/xxx series were all sun4 except the 4/150.
4/150, SS1, SS1+, SS2, IPC, IPX, SLC, ELC are all sun4c.
SS 6xxMP/yy, LC, LX, voyager, SS10, SS5, SS20, SS4 are all sun4m.
SS 1000, SS 2000 are both sun4d.

The SS10, SS20, SS6xxMP/yy, SS1000 and SS2000 are the only non-ultra
multi-cpu Sparc configurations from Sun.