Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 18:51:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Tony D'Andrade" <blue@visinet.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems

Hi.  Could anyone tell me what could possible cause a server to not allow
logins from the console or anywhere else for that matter ?  I am running
FreeBSD 2.2.2 and i have it set up as follows:

Server
======
Pentium 166 w/64 RAM
Western Digital 2 GB SCSI UW
Adaptec 2940 UW
ATI 2MB Video
Asus MB
3Com Etherlink III Network Card

Software
========

Web Server - Apache 1.2.4
Samba 1.9.17p2
NIS client
DNS
NFS client
SCO emulation enabled

This server works fine for a few days then all of a sudden i cant log in
and none of my users can log in.  I cant even log in at the console.  When
the server boots it seems to stall on sendmail and httpd.

The only way i can log in is when i boot up in single user mode.  Then i
run fsck and reboot. It still stalls on me.  I can find anything in the
log files to indicate what might be happening.  Anyone have suggestions ?
I am really thinking of switching to Redhat because of this.

thanks in advance

td