Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:52:12 +0900 (JST)
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        nate@root.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DP2 (I think!) crash booting from floppies

Hi,

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > "local.freebsd.current" wrote:
> > > I got a pair of floppies from:
> > >
> > > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/5.0-20021103-SNAP/floppies/
> > >
> > > and booted them on a Dell Dimension XPS D300 which is currently
> > > running 4.7. It's a PII/300 with an Adaptec 2940 SCSI and an
> > > STB Riva graphics card.
> > >
> > > When booting the kernel off the second floppy I get:
> > >
> > > Booting [/kernel]...
> > > /
> > >
> > > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in vm86 mode
> > > fault virtual address  = 0x9f800
> > > instruction pointer    = 0xf000:0x8c3e
> >
> > Patch which was never integrated.  Build a new kernel.
> >
> > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=341812+0+archive/2002/freebsd-current/20021027.freebsd-current
>
> Can someone get the memory detection (int 12) back to stable?  The
> conservative approach seems to only have the limitation of "losing" 640k
> whereas the experimental approach causes panics.
>
> Can we take such critical experiments out of the base system and let them
> mature as a patch?  I heard something about a release coming up or
> something like that.

I already got the memory detection (int 12) back to STABLE and CURRENT.
After all, nothing had changed there except for having new loader tunable.

If you find 'Fatal trap 12: page fault while in vm86 mode' message at
early kernel boot stage, your BIOS probably has broken INT 12H (in my
case, it was not implemented by BIOS writer).
The loader tunable 'hw.hasbrokenint12' is workaround for it.
Try this at loader prompt:
 ok set hw.hasbrokenint12="1"

Thanks