Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 15:35:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      david.myers@Corp.Sun.COM
To:        rgireyev@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A pointed question: SMP directions...

> I didn't realize that kernel level JAVA support was even being
> contemplated.

Under Solaris, not FreeBSD, so far as I know.

> Lastly, David, if you want to experiment you can dual boot the machine
> with FreeBSD and Solaris. Good way to see first hand the performance
> differences :-)

Perhaps I'm not being clear.  I "experiment" (if you can call it that)
with Solaris every day at work.  That's not what I'm asking about.  I
want to know how much progress the SMP team in FreeBSD thinks it's
making.  I want to know where they're headed, what problems they see;
what they'd wish for in the 3.0 release.  I want to know how long it
will take before FreeBSD matches (or comes close to matching) the
fine-grained SMP support that Solaris has. In short, I'm looking for
both technical and emotional reasons for staying with FreeBSD.  I like
FreeBSD and would like to stay with it, but the feature list of Solaris
relative to my applications (i.e., Java) and hardware (i.e., dual PPro
box) looks compelling.

-David.

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

David Myers                                                  Sun Microsystems
Java Technologist                                    david.myers@corp.sun.com
Strategic Sales Area                                           (650) 614-6907

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^