Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:42:53 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eric@anholt.net>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, x11@freebsd.org, Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject:   Re: gears vs. glxgears; i915 for Linux binaries?

--=-xfLk9WUuMYbqK+17pSF4

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 22:07 +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:28:39 -0700 Eric Anholt wrote:
>=20
> > You're getting software rendering with linux_dri.  LIBGL_DEBUG=3Dverbos=
> > is the way to debug DRI issues, but I can shortcut here and yes, the
> > absence of i915_dri.so is the problem.  We need to get linux_dri update=
> > to a set of recent Mesa binaries.  I wonder what our current
>=20
> There are some efforts. :-) But no "when" so far.
>=20
> > linux_base's package of dri modules looks like?
>=20
> Linux_base doesn't have any X-related stuff. Nore does current linux
> X-port (linux-xorg-libs). We do have only graphics/linux_dri based on
> XFree86-4.4.0.

OK, I checked what FC4 has, and their big xorg RPM is 6.8.2 and contains
DRI drivers.  However, I don't think we want to use FC4's, not just
because of the size of the RPM, but also because the drivers are likely
to be too stale.  The DRI driver <-> DDX interface breaks backwards
compat much more often than the DRI <-> DRM interface (which in theory
never breaks).  So, we really want some fresh Mesa 6.4.2+ DRI drivers,
which we can't get from FC4.

So, that means someone needs to get a linux box with suitable glibc
again and roll their own like I used to, probably.  Or maybe steal
binaries from some other distro.  Suggestions?

--=20
Eric Anholt                             anholt@FreeBSD.org
eric@anholt.net                         eric.anholt@intel.com

--=-xfLk9WUuMYbqK+17pSF4