Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 09:09:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My wishlist

> Here are the things I'm thinking of doing between now and 2.2.  The
> 2.1, being the "stable" release, will pick up whatever that is working
> good enough at the head of -current.
>
> (1) New categories (www, benchmarks, security, sysutils, emulators)

Looks pretty good from my reading of your other post about this!

> (2) Strip all binaries, compress all manpages (conditional to
>     /etc/make.conf)
Thank you, I think I was the one who sniveled about this one not
looking at /etc/make.conf :-)

> (3) Convert subdir Makefiles into "SUBDIR += port1" "SUBDIR += port2"
>     format instead of "SUBDIR = port1 port2 port3"

Why?  The current /usr/src tree does not do this, and it may slow
down make slighly more vs a \ continued line.  I don't see the
advantage to this, is there one?

> (6) Better and more organized periodic testing
>
>     Any ideas?
Egads, you want to know how to test 300 software packages that very
in complexity from simple to very complex.  Gee, that one would make
a year long project for a CS student in software engineering/QA, and
might even qualify for a masters thesis :-)

> (7) An ability to fetch from the nearest master site
>
>     It really bothers me when I do a make on thud.cdrom.com and it
>     proceeds to go fetch the stuff from Europe or Japan, when it's
>     readily available in California in one of the later MASTER_SITES.
>     The same goes for the people in the other sides of the ponds, I
>     guess.  Any good ideas?  "ping" all the MASTER_SITES and sort
>     them? ;)

Rather than ping, traceroute and then filter the data based on timing
and hop count.  Traceroute gives a much better set of statistics, and
is reasonably fast if run with -n so that DNS reverse lookups do not
slow it down.  Use hop count to break close (say within 20%) ties in RTT.
This would be one major cool thing to have working, IMHO!!!

> (8) DISTDIR -> DISTPATH
>
>     I know Jordan's been needling my backside about this for a long
>     time, I simply can't come up with a good idea on how to handle it
>     in bsd.port.mk....
for i in ${DISTPATH}; do
  if [ -f ${i}/${DISTFILE}...

> (10) Better handling of info files, info/dir
>
>     There are two directories to start with (/usr/share/info and
>     /usr/local/info).  Also, ports will add *.info files but won't
>     update the "dir" file, etc.  This is a mess.

Agreed, but not caused so much by us as the design of info and
the ``dir'' file.