Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2016 13:30:23 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drm-next-4.6-11-STABLE ... up to date?

On 8/25/16 12:44 PM, Doug Kirk wrote:
> I'm wondering if this branch has been kept up-to-date with all the activity
> regarding the i915kms driver?

i believe you want to track drm-next as that is where active development
is happening ATM.

> Also, I freshly installed 11-RC2 last night, and following the instructions
> at https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki made a
> kernel from drm-next-4.6-11-STABLE. However, it immediately panic'd at boot
> with a kernel page fault. As it was at the end of my day, I didn't
> investigate further, but may do so tonight.

So yea, you'll need to be running 12-CURRENT - building/installing
world+kernel from the drm-next branch will get you there.

> My current goal is to get X running on my XPS13-9350 (Skylake i7, Iris
> 540@3200x1800). Do I need to be on 12-CURRENT to accomplish that?

yes, I'm running an i7 system on my end and it's relatively stable.

> Is there a single page somewhere detailing all the necessary steps to get X
> running with the recent driver work? As I understand it, I need to:
>
>     1) Build a kernel from the FreeBSDDesktop fork, because there's some
> updated stuff needed by the i915kms driver;
>     2) Build xorg-server, xf86-*, and mesa(?) from
> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-ports-graphics using the
> "xserver-mesa-next" branch to get X 1.18.
>     3) Configure X to use the "intel" driver with "sna" acceleration;
>     4) Profit!

mmacy@ has created a pkg repo you can use for the Xorg bits.
specifically you'll want the updated xorg-server and xf86-intel driver
package from this repo.

here is my /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD-ports.conf file that enables
this repo:

FreeBSD-ports: {
   url:
"http://www.bsddesktop.com/images/120amd64-ports-graphics-xserver-mesa-next/"
   enabled: yes

}

you should be able to do the following once this file is in place:

$ pkg install -r FreeBSD-ports xorg xf86-video-intel-2.99

the docs in the wiki should be up to date, but if you spot any issues or
want to clarify things feel free to send a PR or update it on your end.

Hope this helps!
-pete

--
Pete Wright