Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:40:41 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 09:10:49PM +0100, James A Wilde wrote:
> Related question from a greenhorn.
>
> Most of my editing is administrative editing of configuration files
> and the like.  For that vi is a pita with all that programmers crap.
> The only functionality I use is x for delete, i for input, Alt $
> for goto eol (I don't know how you get to the beginning) and d with
> the down arrow to remove two lines, which means that I often have
> to insert a line first in order to delete the one line I need to
> remove.

0 (that's a zero) to go to the beginning of a line

dd to delete the current line

ndd (where n is a number) to delete n lines (the current one and
    n-1 subsequent lines

If you type ``:viusage'' it will give you a list of commands.

> Is there for UNIX something with the lack of complexity of the DOS
> edit program?  Simple marking, cutting, pasting is all I really
> need.

Look in the editors section of the ports/pcakages, read the
descriptions, install one or more, try them out, then delete the
ones you don't like. This is not flippant answer; editors are a
real personal preference (religious wars are fought over vi versus
emacs) so only you can know which you consider a good choice for
your needs. Personally I use vi(1) all the time, even on Windows
boxes :)

> Thanks for any tips.
>
> mvh/regards
>
> James Wilde

PERL has been described as "the duct tape of the Internet"
and "the Unix Swiss Army chainsaw"
				- Computer Shopper 12/99