Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:03:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        wosch@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Timetable for doc/ repository changes

Nik Clayton wrote:

> Hopefully everyone's now had plenty of time to look at the script
> I posted a few weeks back which demonstrated exactly what changes
> are being made to the CVS tree.  I've (I believe) calmed the fears
> of the Japanese translation team that the installation directory of
> doc/ja/ will be going away at any point in the near future, and we
> are hopefully in sufficient agreement that we can now progress to
> the actual implementation.

We haven't heard from Wolfram lately -- let's make sure he's OK with
this.  (He's on the cc list, I know.)

> In addition, I think (but would like confirmed) that John agrees
> that sliding or renaming the release* tags in doc/ja/ is now not
> necessary, because of how the tags are intended to be used.

No, on the contrary, I insist upon renaming the tags so that they (a)
are different from the existing tags, and (b) won't be mistaken for
FreeBSD release tags.

> However, there may be issues with mirrows of the FreeBSD web site,
> and I will be contacting the site mirror maintainers shortly to
> alert them of the problem.

Just a word of warning from my experience as CVSup-meister: be
prepared for this step to take a _long_ time. :-(

> I estimate that fixing up doc/ after the repository copies have been
> completed will take me most of an evening.  Generally, my free evenings
> in any given week are
>
>      Monday    -- Free all evening
>      Tuesday   -- Not free
>      Wednesday -- Free all evening
>      Thursday  -- Free on all alternate Thursdays (next free is the 22nd)
>      Friday    -- Generally not free
>      Saturday  -- Generally not free
>      Sunday    -- Normally free
>
> Basically, this means any Monday, Wednesday, or Sunday evening are best
> for this to happen (from my point of view).  John, how does this fit in
> with your schedule?

Summertime is so crazy that I can't really generalize about the days
of the week.  I'm sure we can work out a specific date, though.

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron