Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 16:42:30 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java applet gets no keystrokes?

[
BTW - The MD5 cksum changed again.  You may as well removed the MD5
files from the port.
]

> > > OK.  You don't show any errors creating the logfile now; what changed?
> >
> > I decided to be a rootly kind of fellow. :)
>
> Sounds like it's owned by root so you can't write to it now.  But I'm
> just guessing.

I wish it were that easy.  I checked for such simple things.

> > > The vnc server is just a hacked up X server; this is it complaining
> > > about your fonts.  Are you using compressed or gzipped fonts?  I "fixed"
> > > it to do gzipped ones, perhaps I broke it for compressed fonts?
> >
> > I'm using compressed fonts (old version of XIG on that box that doesn't
> > do gzipped fonts).
>
> Hrrm.  I can't see anything in the code that should have broken with
> compressed vs. gzipped fonts.
>
> ... just tested it here with uncompressed, compressed and gzipped
> fonts.  Works on all three.

Weird, I tried it on my other 2.2.5 box and it seems to be working
better.

> > It won't run at all if I don't run it as root.  I get the error about
> > trying to write to X.log (although it has permissions to write there
> > obviously).
>
> There's something really weird going on here.  8(

No kidding.  It works on my box at work (vncserver), but not at home.
And, they're running similar vintage versions of FreeBSD/X, but the one
at work has XIG 4.1, and the one at home has XIG 3.1.

> Can you check that *all* of the font directories that it says it's
> checking actually exist?  If one or more are missing, it'll screw up
> like you're seeing.  If that's the case, edit the vncserver script and
> set the fontpath by hand...

Will do.

OK, if I do the appletviewer thing, I get the following error:

moth:/usr/X11R6/share/vnc/classes % appletviewer http://localhost:5801
java.lang.IllegalAccessError: optionsFrame
        at vncviewer.init(vncviewer.java)
        at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:287)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

Nate