Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:25:42 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status on X220

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

More inside the e-mail.

On Friday 20 April 2012 07:31:51 matt wrote:
> On 04/19/12 17:01, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >
> > there are so many different news about the X220 here that it is not so clear to me whether an install will result in a usable system.
> >

> That's what I've been using. I'm about ready to say goodbye to gentoo
> permanently on mine, although it's a work machine so I'm taking my time.

I want to use this machine for work.
> *
> *What works:
> suspend/resume (must use Xorg KMS to have display on resume), needs
> sysctl twiddling for PCI resume/suspend

Suspend and resume is something I do not really use.

> trackpad (could be better, no scrolling yet...psm doesn't seem to attach

I never use them.

> ethernet

This is important.

> intel wireless (no rt8192)

I should get the Intel version.

> graphics (via Konstantin's KMS work! thanks!)
> speaker.ko!
> Fan control works, but stops displaying fan speed sometimes (see hack
> for acpi_ibm.c)

Not so important if the speed is not displayed.

> *What is unknown (to me):
> Card reader

I will have to find out.

> Fingerprint for PAM (works if you already registered it in Windows for boot)

Nice to have.

> What doesn't work:
> Standard consoles after X is started with KMS (this is true for all
> intel KMS)

This is the only thing I would like to have.

> I'm probably forgetting some stuff that doens't work and some stuff that
> does (especially if obvious)

I know, this is the most difficult part. As your e-mail reads, it is worth a try

How did you do it with Windows? I plan to burn some DVDs and then remove everything.

As I cannot simply go into a shop and pick it up, it might will take until Wednesday to report back how it went for me.

Erich