Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:32:42 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers list <FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org>, nik@freebsd.org, mi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building 'release' and compiling doc ports

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:25:41AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, it's true.  We need to rebuild the docproj ports inside the chroot
> >
> > Why? Why can't the docs not be generated using the tools installed on the
> > system?
>
> Because at the time the docs get installed in the chroot area, the
> chroot has already taken place, and the build processes can't access
> that part of the filesystem anymore.

Other idea:

do a 'make package' outside the chroot for all required doc ports and
move those into the chroot. Still not too elegant though..

Or build the docs outside the chroot and move 'm in after they are
generated :-P

Seriously: there is really a ton of ports required to generate all the
different incarnations of the docs. Quite horrible in a sense..

> Skipping ahead in your message a bit, you don't *need* to go through
> this pain.  "NODOCS=YES" is your friend.

OK, I'll give that a try. I thought I had NODOCS in the buildscript
but apparantly not.

> > Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/gd/work/gd-1.8.4.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > this is because 'gd' does not depend correctly on 'freetype2'
> >
> > a plain 'make' on the docproj port on Alpha fails in an identical fashion.
>
> Grrrr.  Is it possible that mi's recent commit to ports/graphics/gd/Makefile
> introduced a typo in LIB_DEPENDS ("freetype" instead of "freetype.7")?
> Or is there some syntax here I am just missing?  Either way this needs
> to be fixed.

Can somebody please verify if it works on their Alpha (or x86 for
that matter) to build gd?

W/