Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:55:15 -0800
From:      John Stockdale <jstockdale@stanford.edu>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tyan i7505 + Dual Xeon: Issues with hang during APIC IO initialization during boot.

I'm building a FreeBSD system based on the Tyan Thunder i7505
motherboard, with Dual 2GHz, 533 Mhz FSB Xeon processors. Although the
UP kernel boots just fine, when I recompile for SMP and APIC support
the system locks up right after it displays: "APIC_IO: Testing 8254
interrupt delivery"

I've seen some comments previously on the list but most of them seem to
either have been resolved in either the newer implementations of the
kernel or by the motherboard manufactures themselves. I've already
emailed the Tyan support people with this query, but I was wondering if
anyone else had any suggestions.

The motherboard does have bios settings for OS/HT/MP modes and I have
tried the following combinations:
WinXP/2000; HT Enabled; MP 1.4
Other/Linux; HT Enabled; MP 1.4
Other/Linux; HT Disabled; MP 1.4
Other Linux; HT Enabled; MP 1.1
And have not had any change in behavior under any of these settings.

On a related note the UP kernel boots great and everything runs well,
but obviously I would like to get the SMP support working so that one
proc isn't just idling.

Additionally, can anyone tell me how to view the system information
status (ie. proc status/memory/hdd/etc) in FreeBSD. I'm sure I should
know this but this is my first real FBSD machine, and I havn't been
using Unix for awhile.

Thanks

John Stockdale
jstockdale@stanford.edu