Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 21:10:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      jlrobins@zappa.cs.uncc.edu (James Robinson)
To:        shishpop@ftp.com (Shishir Belbase)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is This Possible with FreeBSD ?

> I would appreciate experts' answer on this. I am not sure if
> the following is possible with FreeBSD:
>

> Internet---------      ----------private LAN
>                  |    |
>                 tun0  ep0
>                  -------
>                  |     |
>                  |     |
>                  ------- FreeBSD2.1 running DNS, SOCKS
>                          IPFW turned off, etc.
>
> The main purpose is to have a server that acts as a firewall
> allowing clients on the provate LAN to access the internet.
>
> tun0 interface will have a valid ip ( ppp ) address and the ep0
> will be a made up address/LAN.

Yes -- I used to do something similar at my last place of business. I ran a
kernel ppp connection to the "real world", and ran the CERN httpd in proxy
server mode to forward ftp, http, gopher, etc. All the private LAN boxes
only wanted to run Netscape, so it did the trick.

Disable main servers on the freebsd box in /etc/inetd.conf to keep folks
from hacking into it (or at least cut down their possible vectors :-)

James