Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:56:09 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Jon Bailey <jonb@matchlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/src/contrib -> /usr/src/gnu ?

On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 12:25:33AM -0700, Jon Bailey wrote:
> Andreas,
>   I found your name listed as a package maintainer for one of the GNU
> packages, which is why I picked you as a likely target to send the question
> to.  :)

Ah ;-)

>   Still sounds like it might be sensible to keep packages "all in one place"
> instead of under one directory, with pointers from its "old home" in another
> directory...

Now I don't understand what you mean. If you speak of packages,
it's another story. Packages are the precompiled ports from the
ports collection. Packages (from ports) are always installed
separately from the base OS (i.e.: /usr/local=$PREFIX).

Sometimes people want to test new software before they put it
into the main OS. The ports collection helps here, since it
installs into a separate directory hierarchie.

If for example xntp stops being a "moving target", this means,
being hacked heavily, then it would be the time, to upgrade
it into the main source tree. Then I think it would be imported
under /usr/contrib, and under /usr/src/gnu you'd only find the
"bmaked" Makefiles.

> Although how filesystems should be subdivided/sorted is
> probably a topic of holy wars... :)

Hmmm, functionality, philosophie ;-)

But better, you sort it out a bit, than to have the binarie mess
on a Linux system. I hate it, that there is no Basic Linux OS,
which is the Basis of every Linux... Therefore they differ so
much *shudder*.

If I read job offers and they speak of, Linux knowledges,
I wonder which one they mean .... Debian, SuSE, DLD, RedHead,
Caldera, which differ heavily I think.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?