Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 12:00:45 -0400
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matrox Rainbow Runner

On the subject of Matrox Rainbow Runner, Petri Helenius stated:

> I use this card to produce MPEG's. That is, I take the video into
> MJPEG (with one of the higher rate settings, from 7 to 20
> megabits/sec) and compress it with an MPEG encoder to 600 to 2500
> kilobits/sec. Note that MJPEG is an editable format and not really
> targeted for network nor distribution format.

What do you use for to convert to MPEG?  The software that comes with the card
is horrendously slow!

>  > The only downside as far as I can see for this card is, it requires I run
>  > windows :)  Has anyone else looked at this card?
>  >
> The only real problem here is that the windows drivers leak memory
> like hell. Doing a 15 minute capture renders my 64 meg machine out of
> memory.

Hum.  I used the 1.52 driver to capture about an hour of video last night with
no problems.

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich