Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2017 03:03:16 -0700
From:      Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_10Gb_on_budged_with_fiber_=E2=80=94_what_should_IP_cho?= =?UTF-8?Q?ose=3F?=

Intel is overpriced and still riding their Ethernet reputation from well
over a decade ago with little to show for it.  I would recommend cxgbe
anything, so Chelsio T420 and up.  The T520-SO-CR is within reason for
demanding home office/small office users to purchase new and I've deployed
over a thousand of these at work with flawless performance.  T420 are a bit
cheaper on i.e. US ebay if that is viable to you but not by too much.  I
bought a T420-BT that way for home use and have no complaints.  For non-TOE
use at 10g, the difference between T4 and T5 doesn't matter too much, pcie
2.0 vs 3.0.

You can use DAC twinax cables to connect 10G SFP+ ports together.  This
will save several watts of power and heat on each side vs 10G Base-T.
Sometimes DACs have interop problems, usually with switches.  Optics are
more forgiving, although again the switch side may have extra hoops like
approved vendors.

As far as a switch, I got a good deal on the beta UniFi version of
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgeswitch-16-xg/ for my home network.  Now
that it is full price, I would recommend the EdgeMax version unless you
have other UniFi gear.  They are inexpensive as far as the physical
connectivity versus the rest of the market but not quite cheap yet.  These
aren't exactly pro grade, the interop seems pretty poor in general, but
that's the price you pay for the price you didn't pay :)

Regards,