Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:50:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Alexander Kabaev <ak03@gte.com>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.org>, <developers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: GCC 3.2 in progress

Well, actually, I *wasn't* asking for an upgrade.

From recent experience it is my estimation that a gcc upgrade sets 5.0
development back a month (that is, the last GCC upgrade kept *me* from
working productively for around a month due to various this thats and
the others). If that's what people want, that's fine.  I could also be
totally wrong, and this won't break things. I'm just a bit startled that
this appears out of nowhere (I sure don't recall it being discussed) and
just happens, with 10 minutes warning.

This is, IMO, why FreeBSD is not going to be very successful. You cannot
just make major toolchain changes w/o at least *some* belief that this
is going to be done well. Did you do a dryrun with the import before
checking things in?

I don't mean to be hypercritical here, but I feel that it's fair,
considering people are starting to really whine about how late 5.0
actually *is* at this point, to begin to ask not even the *hard*
questions, but medium firm questions about "gee, is this trip *really*
necessary?"

-matt