Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:33:53 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Howard" <elh@outreachnetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-R -> 4.4-S via source...

At a certain time, now past, Andy Sparrow spake thusly:

> > There was never a final answer...anyone get 4.0-R -> 4.4-S to work w/o
> > building PERL?  That's my next step before doing a complete reinstall.
>
> Hi,
>
> If you use 'NOPERL=true' in /etc/make.conf, you should get past this
> particular problem (this is suggested in UPDATING for some versions, IIRC).
> You could then re-run the buildworld later (when everything is 4.4)
>
> However, when I went down this road (from a fairly crusty 4.0-S to 4.4-S), I
> encountered two further errors:
>
> 	make: don't know how to make agp_if.c
>
> For which I set 'NO_MODULES=true' in /etc/make.conf as a workaround. This
> fixed this.

Yeah...I saw the process for building from 3.x to 4.x and went with it
although I was going from 4.0-S to 4.4-S.

Looks like -DNOPERL got me over my hurdles w/o a hiccup.

       ~ELH~

--
Eric L. Howard           e l h @ o u t r e a c h n e t w o r k s . c o m