Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:40:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Robert Arsoba <bobby@tu.koszalin.pl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Root slice below ~500MB (the >1023 problem)

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Nick wrote:

>> I have one hard drive (2.5 G) and it's already cut into two. A
>> 1.5 gig and a 1 gig.  this computer came this way because of
>> it's disk controller. I am pretty sure it's MS-DOS partitioned.
>>  And formatted for MS-DOS.  Could I somehow install FreeBSD
>> from CD-ROM into the 1 gig and have the other for Win95(for
>> other family members). And have both bootable???

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Doug White answered:

>No.  FreeBSD's root partition must be below ~500MB on most systems.

1. What did you mean "most systems" Doug. I have Intel Atlantis
motherboard with AMI BIOS version 1.00.04.CL0 and Seagate ST31081 hard
disk, 1.08GB. It is configured in setup as primary IDE master and other
settings are as follows: IDE Device Configuration: Auto Configured (2097
cyl, 16 heads, 63 secs), IDE Translation Mode: Auto Detected (Extended CHS
and Logical Block are also supported). I would like to have both Win95 and
FreeBSD 2.1.5.  I installed Win95 and left about 300MB for FreeBSD at the
end of my disk (so beyond 500MB limit, perhaps it was my mistake). Can I
install FreeBSD there and be able to boot it? (I would like to avoid
repartitioning).
2. How can I remove BootEasy from boot sector to boot Win95 (is fdisk /MBR
sufficient?).
3. Can I copy FreeBSD distribution files from CD to extended DOS partition
and then start the installation?

Sorry for my english... Thanks for your help!
Robert

bobby@lew.tu.koszalin.pl
Technical University of Koszalin, Poland