Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:06:32 -0700
From:      soralx@cydem.org
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        lists@hausro.de
Subject:   Re: Quiet computer

> But to support this VIA CPUs, I must say that for their apparent lack of
> performance in benchmarks, they run surprinsingly well in real life. If
> FreeBSD or Windows, this machine of rather low manufacturing quality (Yakumo
> is not the best of the best) is considerably faster than my Fujitsu Siemens
> laptop with PIII 850MHz which has the same HDD and amount of RAM etc...

Surprising indeed. See, e.g.
http://www.phystech.com/download/ubench/ref56.html:

From: Troy Arie Cobb <tcobb@circle.net7gt;
Subject: Ubench results
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:22:19 -0500

Dual PIII 850MHz, 1GB PC-100 RAM

FreeBSD 4.5-RC FreeBSD 4.5-RC #1: Sun Jan 27 0 i386
Ubench CPU:    96156
Ubench MEM:    58845
--------------------
Ubench AVG:    77500

This means that the score for single PIII-850 would be about 45k.
PIII-933 with 133MHz FSB and Tualatin core (which is the best Intel
designed so far, IMHO) should be even better. So, David, you might
want to checkout the Low Voltage P-III's (12.2W) too:
http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/pentiumiii/pentiumiii.htm

Still, how fast the system 'feels' is probably more important than
plain scores, so if someone who runs 8 busy KDE workspaces says it's
OK, then it probably is [I think there's no need to tell you just
how voracious KDE is as for resources] :)

> [...]
> Olivier Gautherot

[SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2