Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:22:53 +0200
From:      Stefan KORONKA <KoronkaS@interscope.ro>
To:        'Rahul Siddharthan' <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: desktops and mounting

> From: Rahul Siddharthan
>
> Recently while setting up a FreeBSD machine for desktop use, and
> watching linux users on their machines, it seemed to me that
> everything that can be done on linux can be done equally easily on
> FreeBSD -- except non-root mounting of removable media (like floppies,
> CDROMs).  You can't allow user mounts simply by adding a "user" option
> in /etc/fstab, and simple point-and-clicking in KDE/GNOME doesn't work
> either.

Yes, I am one of those who don't like to su every time I need to mount
something.  So I did the following:

chmod 4555 /sbin/mount*
chmod 4555 /sbin/umount

Read the chmod man page to see what that 4 bit means.  You can do the same
for all the utilities who need root access.  In order to improve security,
you can something like:

chgrp somegroup mount*
chmod 4550 mount*

and add your users to the "somegroup" group.

Of course, you may need to change permision for the mount directory as well.
(this works for me; i didn't read the FAQ about this, so I can't say
anything about what is there.  and yes, the result is that i can do
something like "mount /cdrom", "mount_cd9660 /dev/something ~/mnt/cdrom"
and such.)

stefan

(i really thing that this should be redirected to -questions, but i
am too lasy to do this :)