Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 15:34:58 -0700
From:      "Pedro Giffuni S," <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Subject:   Re: Current is currently really a mess (was: Re: Tk/Tcl broken(?))

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> there for.  It's a testing ground, not a place for hosting the ports
> collection.

It seems to me like Satoshi was right, then: ports ARE for stable users,
not for current users. Current users are responsible for what they
break, but the dilemma will always be who is gonna take care of
re-porting the applications when the time for 3.0-Release comes.

> Perhaps we've lost sight of what the ports collection is there for
> also.  I always envisioned it as that "extra 10%", like comfortable
> seats in your car or airbags in your dashboard.  It makes the system

You must recognize this utilities make the system desirable. The OS can
get as sofisticated as you want, but if applications don't work, no one
will be interested in running it.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't understand what is so mission-critical in
Tcl as to decide to break the ports tree.

	Pedro.