Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 15:21:57 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        djb@ifa.au.dk
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hlt instructions and temperature issues

> I personally wouldn't worry about 5% performance difference, and go for the
> lower temperature and increased stability. But others may have different
> opinions. My proposal is therefore to make the hlt instruction a kernel
> option for SMP systems. That way everyone can experiment for themselves and
> possible problems may be detected.

Everyone,

This thread has been a fascinating walk through CPU temperatures under SMP -
but surely, no one should be designing a system that relies on the 'thermal
characteristics of the software running' to ensure safe operation? - If the
spec says you need to dissipate 32 Watts of heat from the CPU, you design a
system to dissipate 32 Watts (probably a bit more for 'safety'? :)...

Taking it to an extreme, it would be like building a system that falls over
when it 'happens to be busy' one day, 'cause someone ran something
computationally intensive? - I know for a fact these systems do exist, but we
don't really want to be helping sweep the cause under the rug do we?

I don't like the 5% speed decrease either - our SMP systems are SMP because we
need the speed. They are built to handle the thermals - so the thought of
dropping 5% in speed isn't appealing...

At the very worst can this be made a 'default off' option? :-)

And, I wasn't be funny - the thread _really_ was interesting... :)

-Karl's $.02