Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 1996 13:45:55 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: still no response

E-mail message from Terry Lambert contained:
> > I still haven't heard back from anyone regarding the
> > session limit addition in inetd.
> >
> > does everyone think it's a boring idea?
> > doesn no one dislikr it?
> > should I just check it in?

I've already said "go ahead", but I have vested interest.

> The inetd already has a session limit.  It's just not per service, it's
> per inetd, and it's compiled in.
>
> You can get the same effect right now by compiling another inetd and
> starting several inetd's with different inetd.conf files per service
> class.

Except that I don't have the SINIX sources, and the compiled limit is
*too small*.  Now, I can probably persuade my sysadmins and higher
management to replace inetd on a couple of machines with FreeBSD inetd
if it were a drop-in replacement, with extensions.  I *know* that they
won't like the idea of multiple inetd's and multiple inetd.conf's
running on the same machine.

> I've used multiple inetd's for several years to get different '-R'
> values for different things (tftpd, in particular, for a lab full of
> X terminals).

To make things even worse, I don't think that SINIX inetd supports -R :(

> I've only compiled up a seperate inetd with a use count restriction
> once, and that was for an ISP who wanted to limit FTP sessions with
> an old ftpd.
>

> I can see where it might be a big deal for some ISP's, or for people
> who want to put every service in a different limitation class.  Other
> than that, I'm pretty non-commital -- I can take it or leave it... it's
> just an alternate way of doing things I can already do (but with the
> bonus that people who don't understand inetd can twiddle the thing,
> I suppose).

As far as I understood the patch, it is fully backwardly compatible
version, and hardly bloated at all.  And it doesn't require another
instance of inetd in core when running.

/Marino