Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2012 09:46:10 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        Ronny Mandal <ronnyma@volatile.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.0 w/ACPI enabled, excluding NICs

On Jul 13, 2012 8:34 AM, "Ronny Mandal" <ronnyma@volatile.no> wrote:

> On 13.07.2012 15:52, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>>>
>>> I am running a small personal file server. To ensure constant network
>>> access, had to disable the ACPI, hence no power saving at all. The CPU
>>

>> why you "had to" disable ACPI. i never ever seen network problems with
ACPI. basically it works, or it doesn't at all.

> When the server is idle with ACPI enabled, it did not respond to ping
after a short period. With ACPI disabled, this was alleviated. So,
basically, it will stop working after a while. My guess is that ACPI will
shut down the power for the NIC. But that is only a guess. Furthermore,
when ACPI is disabled, no network problem arises. This suggests, at least
to me, that ACPI is somehow involved.

>>> gets very warm as everything (presumably) is running at full throttle.
>>> Is there any way to disable the ACPI partially, i.e. allow spin-down
>>> for disks etc, but keep the NICs running?
>>

>> This is IMHO not about FreeBSD support of ACPI but possible BIOS
settings that turn on some kind of hibernation.

> Each and every power saving function in the BIOS is disabled.
Nevertheless, I believe that a selective ACPI configuration should resolve
this issue,