Date:      Sat, 01 Nov 1997 10:47:49 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, elh@svic.com
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 installation bug on 1gig machines

>   The problem with this is that the memory is already sized before
>'userconfig' is called (it needs to be that way for various reasons). This
>basically means that we can't limit the memory during an install. You'll
>have to physically pull out some of the memory and/or replace it with
>lower density SIMMs until you've finished the installation and built a
>customized kernel.

	Current userconfig menu in the kernel is very nice (I was surprised
	when I saw this for the first time), but I believe it is
	good to have some device configuration menu/option/whatever in /boot.

	(on bsdi we can disable devices that way.  Also, /boot will look
	for the default settings in /etc/boot.default.  In this way
	the settings can be kept the same over kernel reconfiguration)

itojun