Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 16:37:36 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Chris Coleman wrote:

> list by
>
> 	How may people would we need to round up before you would be
> willing to "block out a large chunk of time" and do an 'FS-101'. I am sure
> I have a handful of people over here.  (me included) :-).  Do I need to do
> a roll call ? ;-)

FS-101 should be web pages containing a design document that explains the
problems with the current model and the benefits the new proposed model
will provide and how.  More time should be spent spent covering the
architecture before any patches are committed for such a central
subsystem.

I want to know where I'm going before I commit time to using and testing a
new FS system that can possibly corrupt my disk partitions.  This is
highly possible no matter how god-like the FS designer/coder is.  It's a
complex piece of code.

Regards,

Mike Hancock