Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2022 17:15:56 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: typing with broken arm

On 6/10/22 15:09, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I just broke my wrist and find typing (coding) very hard (took me 5 mins to
> type this sentence for example).   Any ideas on how to make it easier to
> type/input code (Java, HTML and JavaScript)?

I use a QWERTY mechanical keyboard, a wheel mouse, and Vim for desktop
apps, sysadmin, shell scripts, and Perl scripts.  When I broke a finger
in a car wreck three years ago, my right hand was non-functional for 5+
weeks.  I learned to do everything with my left hand.  It was awkward at
first, but my accuracy and speed improved with practice.  Assuming your
disability is temporary, this is probably your best solution.

If your disability is permanent, STFW most one-handed keyboards are for
gaming (left half of QWERTY plus macro keys, buttons, trackball, etc.)
and most disability keyboards are QWERTY with large keys, large
high-visibility printing, missing numeric pad, etc..  But, I did find
some programmable keyboards with grid layouts.  You could supplement a
QWERTY keyboard with such and/or build a complete replacement:

https://www.koolertron.com/

https://www.prehkeytec.com/

http://www.programmablekeyboards.biz/

David