Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:17:07 -0700
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS and sendmail aliases?

On the subject of Re: NIS and sendmail aliases?, David Wolfskill stated:

> I confess that I'm puzzled by a desire to use NIS for this purpose.
>
> Do you really have several (well, more than one) host that needs to know how
> the aliases expand?  (As opposed to sending all the mail to a central
> mailhost that handles the expansion, then sends things out as appropriate,
> for example.)

Its a hack to avoid having to deal with getting a proper sendmail up and
running on all the different flavors of IRIX :)

> I also confess that I tend to avoid using NIS... unless I have a situation

Same here, Generally I avoid NIS like the plague.  However, it does do its job
fairly well when it comes to distrubition of password data as well as
automounter maps.

> see how DBMDEF is defined.  If you really want to use NIS for aliases,
> "DBMDEF" needs to include "-DNIS", I believe.

I'll do so.

-Crh

       Charles Henrich       Manex Visual Effects       henrich@flnet.com

                       http://orbit.flnet.com/~henrich