Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 20:48:53 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        cmott@srv.net
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipdivert & masqd

In some mail from Darren Reed, sie said:

> > > The point is, it isn't Gauntlet or the Firewall Toolkit which is doing
> > > anything wrong, it is the "transparent proxy" which makes bad assumptions
> > > (although 99% of the time it gets away with them).

> > Your comments are interesting, but your attitude is not constructive in
> > my view.
>
> This probably reflects my frustration of how difficult it is to
> implement properly.

And more to the point, ipmasqd/ipdivertd are in a good position to do it
properly so some effort should be made to see what can be done to create
a solution that overcomes deficincies in other existing systems.  Wasting
this oppotunity doesn't seem very sensible (to me).

IMHO, some effort should be made to attempt to "do it properly".  Maybe
the "simpler" solutions could be imlpemented but they should be done so
only with a clear understanding that its a temporary solution and work
is being done on fixing it.

(Is that a bit more constructive ?)

Darren