Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:31:52 +0900
From:      Hiroyuki HANAI <hanai@astec.co.jp>
To:        man-jp-core@jp.freebsd.org, jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        horikawa@isrd.hitachi.co.jp, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [man-jp-core 939] Re: Proposal to put Japanese online manuals into freefall CVS repository

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, John Fieber wrote:

> I would like to resolve the ja versus ja_JP.EUC question first,
> but otherwise that sounds fine.

I think that members in Japanese documetation group will agree
with John's idea.
# Sorry to be late.

> Encoding may still be an issue, but how big of an issue?  In the
> web/mail/news environment, documents can be self-identifying. Can

In the mail/news environment, there exists a rule that we
must use ISO-2022-JP in encoding Japanese characters.

> a man program detect EUC versus SJIS input and convert on-the-fly
> to the active locale encoding if necessary?  (Am I correct in

Anyone cannot resolve EUC and SJIS explicitly. :-(
# There is an overlapping region in the two encondings.

Well, I think a man program doesn't have to detect the character
encodings because we can make a rule that man pages should be
EUC-encoded when Japanese characters appears in them.

> believing that EUC -> SJIS -> EUC is a "lossless" conversion?)

You are right. It's a lossless conversion.

--
Hiroyuki HANAI =-= Be cool! =-= hanai@jp.FreeBSD.ORG