Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:20:52 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man pages

In message <30209.984852345@critter> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
: In message <200103171803.f2HI3Q945895@harmony.village.org>, Warner Losh writes:
: >Just wanted to show
: >an example that needed it, not for synchronization, but to assume total
: >control of the CPU and to make everyone else wait while I do my
: >semi-time critical hardware frobbing.
:
: I agree, there are lots of applications where it is a must to be
: able to do that, and we can either provide a civilized API for it
: or suffer all the weird hacks people will implement themselves...

My hardware was UP.  I don't know what I'd want this to mean in an MP
environment.  For my app, one CPU is fine (since the bus bandwidth I
use in my handsprings is minimal).  This likely is the typical case.

I have trouble thinking of why someone would want to do this on
multiple CPUs at the same time, unless it involved synchronization.

Warner