Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:16:17 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Identifying cause of crash

I had a complete system crash this morning sometime shortly after 17/
Apr/2007:08:51:22 -0500.  (from my most active apache log).

I can't seem to find any information whatsoever about the crash.
It's just that a few hours later I noticed that the system was down,
and had to power cycle the box.  There was nothing on the console
except some much older stuff.

I'm running 6.2-RELEASE-p3 on VIA C3 Nehemiah (999.52-MHz 686-class CPU)

Looking in messages or auth.log I see nothing from around the time of
the crash.  Is there some place else I should look?  I've also
checked logs that are sysloged remotely

$ grep '@10' /etc/syslog.conf
*.err;kern.warning;auth.notice;mail.crit        @10.1.10.131
security.*                                      @10.1.10.131
auth.info;authpriv.info                         @10.1.10.131
*.emerg                                         @10.1.10.131

And there is nothing from near the time of the crash there either.

So the system appeared to crash before anything could be logged.

The system has been running fine since I've had it (a few months
ago), and my most recent kernel rebuild was on April 13 (and then
only to add msdosfs which I needed for USB memory devices).

Where should I look next?

-j