Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 00:58:51 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buildworld failing

Hi,
On Fri, Aug 29, 1997 at 08:16:28PM -0700, Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

> mkdep -f .depend -a -I/sys
> -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include /usr/src/usr.sbi n/pciconf/pciconf.c
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/pciconf/pciconf.c:41: pci/pcivar.h: No such file or
> directory /usr/src/usr.sbin/pciconf/pciconf.c:42: pci/pci_ioctl.h: No such
> file or directory mkdep: compile failed.
I think your mailer ate several eol signs, this error message looks
rather garbled.

After some formatting, the error message looks like this:

mkdep -f .depend -a -I/sys -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pciconf/pciconf.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pciconf/pciconf.c:41:
pci/pcivar.h: No such file or directory
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pciconf/pciconf.c:42:
pci/pci_ioctl.h: No such file or directory
mkdep: compile failed.

(The first two lines should be one long line, I had to insert a line break
because it was way too long).

mkdep searches /sys and /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include for pci/pcivar.h
Unfortunately, the only location of that file is /usr/src/sys/pci/pcivar.h.
That's why it fails.

On my machine (2.2-stable via ctm), the same command works flawless. The
reason:
bash# /bin/ls -l /
[...]
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  wheel      11 23 Aug 02:26 sys -> usr/src/sys
[...]

This link was created during my first FreeBSD installation. It *is* needed
and it *must* point to the sys directory within the source tree. You
obviously killed it. Fix this and you should be able to compile the
source tree.

/s/Udo
--
Udo Erdelhoff						ue@nathan.ruhr.de
"I have the heart of an innocent child -- in a small jar beside my bed."