Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:42:01 +0200
From:      Rudi Opperman <rudi@askas.co.za>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   help with cron and crontab mail messages

hi

I am trying to limit the messages that crontab sends to a user about
jobs run under cron.  The situation is :
I am trying to customise cron to run some afterhours tasks.  It seems
that you just add the tasks in the specified users crontab file and load
it.  This is quite simple and works well.  However these jobs need to
run as root.  I checked root's loaded crontab and it was empty - so i
added to jobs to /etc/crontab and loaded it.  I then recieved mail every
five minutes from

	*/5     *       *       *       *       root    /usr/libexec/atrun

This is quite annoying.  (12x24 messages a day just from this entry).  I
see it is possible to turn this off by setting MAILTO="" but then i
won't get the mail for my customised tasks.  So basically i want mail
from my added tasks but not from the others that were already there (in
a standard 2.2.8 system).  how do i do this ?

Moreover why was root's "crontab -u root -l" reporting nothing even
though rc.conf has cron_enable="YES"?
Does this mean that these jobs were never run or does it mean that they
were run in some other user/operator crontab ?

tia

rudi