Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:41:45 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        sol@squat.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xe: watchdog timeout; restarting card

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 02:58:17AM +0200, sol@squat.net wrote:
> ok i hope this is not annoying, ive sent this to another list however
> there is no answer back ecept for a reccommendation to send it to freebsd
> mobile. if found this happening with some xircom card in the free bsd
> mobile archives but with no fixes, that work for me, so here goes
>
> this error infinatly occures.
>

>  xe: watchdog timeout; restarting card
>
>  I have an Intel 10/100base TX PCMCIA card. Compaq armada 4130T running
>  FreeBSD 4.6.1-RC2. Or rather I'm trying to install that version. during
>  install set up card is recognised as ex0 I get enought ping for a DHCP
>  request. Then the card resets. commes back up I'm trying to install over
>  FTP and every 2 or three seconds it again resets. It is on a free IRQ.
>  I've tried several. now it's on IRQ 10.
>
>  card works with the win 9x that came on the lapdog, and debian that i just
>  erased.  all on this laptop before.
>

>   /etc/pccard.conf:
>       io 0x240-0x360
>       irq 3 9 10 11 13 15
>       memory 0xd4000 96k
>

>  I've seen some other threads from 1999 that recommend editing my card
>  entry but as im installing over the network i can only take my mfsroot
>  floppy over to another machine and mount and edit it there,
>
>  I did edit the memory space to 0xd0000 which i found as a possible
>  reccommended fix. this didnt work and the card was then not recognised at
>  all.

I assume you mean that you tried something like:
machdep.pccard.mem_start=0xd0000
in the FreeBSD boot loader before getting into sysinstall.  It might be
worth trying the same thing with a few other values -- 0xcc000, 0xd4000,
0xd8000 just in case the machine is happy with one of those.

Probably not relevant, but you can also tweak machdep.pccard.pcic_irq in
the loader, in case your PCCard controller is using an IRQ that conflicts
with something else.

Are you able to try any other PC cards in this machine?

Are you getting any meesages from the xe driver on any of your virtual
consoles?  It should be recognising the Intel card as a Xircom CE3 clone,
but this may be some odd variation of the hardware that it doesn't know how
to deal with.

	Scott