Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 13:14:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lars Fredriksen <fredriks@Mcs.Net>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptech 2940/44W and older drives

Hi,
	I just upgraded my machine, and am running into problems with
my older drives. The Apdatech 2944W (differential version of the 2940)
reports the following types of errors:

	timeout in datain phase SCSISIGI=0x54
	timeout in datain phase SCSISIGI=0x44
	and then a UNIT ATTENTION (power on/reset/device reset)

The same configuration worked just great with my EISA based 2740 controller.
I thought it first to be an issue with my 68 pin to 50 pin cable for the
narrow devices, but using the internal 50 pin connector displays the same
symtoms. The firmware level on the 2744 is from 1995 (I forgot the revision
number), but it is less than 1.23.

The devices that I am talking to are all Seagate 1G or 2G disks (5 1/4).
The controller reports  that it negotiated 4.4MB/s synch access with if
my memory serves me right is the same as the 2740 did.

Any one seen this? Anything I can do to figure this out? Justin?

Lars
Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)
			lars@fredriks.pr.mcs.net	(home-home)