Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:27:57 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Walker <davidianwalker@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Moved drives ...

On 03/15/12 01:11, illoai@gmail.com wrote:
> On 14 March 2012 17:39, David Walker<davidianwalker@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hey.
>>
>> I had installed 9.0 to a SATA drive (ada1 I think) and went to install
>> Windows on a higher numbered drive but Windows doesn't like that or so
>> I gathered.
>> Anyway, I moved drives around and installed Windows - FreeBSD is now
>> ada2 I think.
>> I'm used to OpenBSD where fixing this is a vi fstab ...
>> What's the procedure on FreeBSD?
>>

> Yes, you can change the fstab (if you can get in via mountroot:
> at the boot prompt, I believe) from single user mode.  If you'd've
> used labels (either glabel or tunefs -L) you'd not have to change
> your /etc/fstab at all.

I'll second that remark on labelling filesystems. My life has become
much easier since I did all mine - the 8.2->9.0 disk naming switch from
/dev/ad<i> to /dev/ada<j> had absolutely no effect. Take a look at
Warren Block's excellent page on the subject:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/labels.html