Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:21:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Gregory P. Smith" <greg@nas.nasa.gov>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Willey <willey@etla.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD USB project, help requested

    > > > x Programmers interested in taking part in the project by implementing
    > > >   bits and pieces:
    > > >   x Implementation of OHCI standard (similar to UHCI)
    > > >   x Support for other UHCI/OHCI chipsets
    > >
    > > I volunteer for OHCI standard and support for the SiS 5598 OHCI chipset
    > > (gee, can you guess what my motherboard has :).
    >
    > Get the OHCI standard and work from that.  (Which is what I have done
    > for my unknown Toshiba chipset.)  The whole idea behind OHCI is that
    > you don't have to know what sort of chipset you have, and we shouldn't
    > care at all.

Same for UHCI spec. Be aware of the fact though that without support for
separate chipsets you will not be able to figure out the way to do it
according to the specs.

The final result should be according to [OU]HCI spec and chipset
independent, I agree, but for the moment we do not have the knowledge
nor the base to claim that it is chipset independent.

Nick

STA-ISIS, Joint Research Centre, Italy
building: 27A
tel.: +39 332 78 9549