Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:53:52 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal on shared libs version values.

In message <Pine.BSF.4.31.0102131359180.62815-100000@herring.nlsystems.com> Doug Rabson writes:
: So did the installworld work or not? I'm confused now...
:
: If it worked, then I think Peter's stdio patch should be committed.

It did and it should.  However, there's the issue of 6 vs 500.

Hell, peter said it could be "anything".  Can it be "5.1"?  I know
this isn't a "minor" number in the a.out sense, but that would give us
room to grow.

Of course, I still say there's no reason we can't bump it by more than
one each major release cycle.  That's, sadly, how ELF libraries work.
Keeping the same major for the release is a hold over from the a.out
days and is inappropriate for ELF.  The X folks learned this in the
X11R4 time frame when they stopped trying to make libX11.so.R match
the number after the R, except on new platforms.

Warner