Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:20:58 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Important Note about ver3

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 11:29:37AM +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 10:09:27AM +0000, Andrew wrote:

> >  Important note is that we've (in Sydney) have had 3.0 on order from Walnut
> > Creek for two months, neither we nor the book store which does regular
> > business with Walnut can get any explaination. We can only assume that
> > Walnut has not pressed any discs since 2.2.7
>
> Nah, Leonard Chan at Cetus Technology (www.cetustech.com.au in Sydney)
> got his stock of 3.0 a couple of weeks ago.

when i last sope to leonard he was slated to have stocks of 2.2.8 and 3.0
BEFORE christmass and he did a bit of advertising to that effect .. money
wasted as teh stock just wasn;t in the box when it finally did arive.

speaking of cetustech and freebsd .. they currently have v2.2.8-release and
v3.0-release on special, sale, whatever yo want to call it. each are going out
the door at $AUD36 with an additonal, over night, postage of some $AUD6.

i suppose this is what happens wne you get new stock five minutes beofer the
release of teh next version

how about we all (five of us, grin sort of) make an effort to get one more cpy
of freebsd sold so leonard can move the old ones so he can fund teh new
release when i finally finds its way to australia.

by way of explanation, last year when i wa comparision shoping i rang several
places that were advertising really old freebsd, vintage v2.2.2 and even
2.2.1, those cmpanies were waiting to sell all teh existing stock before they
would concider getting more .. several siad that because it was such a slow
mover they had no intention of ordering anymore.

> BTW, where's there a book store in Sydney that has even heard of Walnut
> Creek?? Dymocks, for example, reckons that they've never been approached
> by Walnut Creek and won't stock their stuff until that happens (but
> Dymocks could be mistaken, and that happens frequently).

personally i'd rather deal with the likes of leonard chan than some nameless
megalithic morons like dymocks

as an aside cetustech has far better prices that dymocks or any of the other
so called 'discount booksellers'.

i suppose because leonard is just a small fish companies like walnut creek tend
to over look the cetustechs of this world .. but then again this isn.t
mainland america so what can we freebsd users really expect, espcially those of
us without creditcard facilities.

please i'm not taking pot shots at sintly walnut creek, god forbid, but a
little more 'concideration; could be shown to the far flung reches of teh
freebsd emipre, it would help the cause imensly. i do understant the
mishinations to international trade and it takes time to move product to
foreign ports of call. but i also hear, read much ballyhoo about hwo freebsd
should be advertised . what better adveritisment than reliable media supply,
to places that even the linux netowrk resellers take a second look at.

no amout of rhetororic is going to repair the damage caused by "but we have it
ordered and walnut creek 'forgot' to send us our cds" .. that is all it takes
to make yet another sale for linux, or someting else in the same price
bracket. here in australia tht means microsoft windows ... any saterday yo can
go toa weekend computer fair and pickup legitimate copies of ms windows for
between thirty and fifty dollars .. not bad concidering freebsd starts at $42
and can be as high as $65, all come from walnut creek all at the same original
reseller price. well this is the free market, i suppose.

regards

jonathan, with an alternate view of the world.