Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:46:29 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xl0: transmission error: 90

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 08:27:13AM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> On Fri, April 15, 2005 5:13 am, Ulrik Guenther said:
> > on my 5.4-RC1 installation with a 3com 3c905B NIC I got the following
> > messages while transferring a big file (31GByte) over 100MBit ethernet:
> >
> > Apr 15 08:46:18 verleihnix kernel: xl0: transmission error: 90
> > Apr 15 08:46:18 verleihnix kernel: xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start
> >
> > So, okay the threshold was increaed in 60byte steps from 120 to 420
> > bytes, then it stopped. This procedure took place only during the first
> > gigabytes of the transmission. I noticed no negative side effects (say:
> > the file arrived completely on the other computer, checksum was okay as
> > well). Transmission was done via SSH/SCP.
> >
> > Now my question: What do these messages from the xl(4) mean?
>=20
> Im assuming the xl cards default tx buffer is too low, or something of
> that nature. I get the same messages, but everything works fine.

I've been getting them for a few years now, always after a reboot:

xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 120 bytes
xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 180 bytes
xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 240 bytes
xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 300 bytes
xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 360 bytes

(not exactly all at the same time of course).

Machine functions just fine as far as I can tell.

--Stijn

--=20
Coughlin's law: never tell tales about a woman no matter how far away she
is, she'll always hear you.
		-- Cocktail

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf--