Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2015 10:20:57 +0100
From:      Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Davide Italiano <davide@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "d@delphij.net" <d@delphij.net>
Subject:   Re: default pager (csh)

> On 19 Feb 2015, at 09:16, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On 2/18/15 3:41 PM, Xin Li wrote:
>>=20
>> The _only_ reason that I can think of is that more(1) does not clear
>> screen for certain terminals (done with 'ti' and 'te' sequences),
>> while less(1) when running as less does.
>>=20
>> The less(1) behavior can be annoying to some people (sometimes even
>> myself when using less to show contents of a file and ^Z to paste
>> them), and unfortunately quite a few of them also happen to be the
>> more vocal ones when it comes to a change.
>=20
> I find that behaviour infuriating
>=20
> I page down to a place to get some text on the screen to use as  a referen=
ce, then exit to run a command with that information, and *bam* the info I w=
anted to use has gone away.

Yeah, that drives me nuts too, Debian had (has?) this and it's a no-go for m=
e. Changing options for man would be nice though, so finding something near t=
he end of the page won't exit the pager.